Lake Kariba is a magical destination to visit whilst you are in Zimbabwe – indeed it is a firm favourite with locals for good reason. Changa Safari Camp, located on the edge of Lake Kariba, is the perfect place to enjoy both land and lake activities, and the fact that it is unbelievably romantic makes it even more special. With so much on offer, we’ve rounded up some not to be missed activities to help you plan your bucket list trip to the area:
(1) A game walk on foot is a full sensory experience – you smell the richness of the African bush, hear animals moving close to you, feel the heat of the day rise from the ground and see the circle of life unfolding in front of you.
Expect to see plains game, learn about the flora and fauna and view herds of elephants walking along the shoreline. On game walks, you will be safely accompanied by one of our professional guides, whose expert knowledge of the area will help you to see the Matusadona National Park through new eyes.
*If you are planning a special proposal or anniversary surprise, we can set up your own private breakfast or sundowners in the bush after your walk.
(2) Bird Watching can be enjoyed by foot or by game drive and as the birdlife in Matusadona National Park is prolific, you will not be disappointed. There have been over 300 species of birdlife identified in the area, so do not forget your binoculars, camera and “Checklist of Birds” provided in your room for this activity. A personal favourite of ours is the iconic African fish eagle who is often seen perched majestically on a high branch and whose clear, ringing call can be heard for miles around.
(3) As Changa Safari Camp is situated within a private concession area in the famed Matusadona National Park, going on a game drive offers a unique experience to what you may have had on safari before. With the combination of flat plains and rugged mountain country you will find different wildlife living in the Mopane woodlands ecoregion and along the wildlife-rich lakefront. Our open game vehicles are a very comfortable way to discover the area, providing a fantastic opportunity to view game up close, whilst taking in the beautiful scenery.
(1) As Lake Kariba is the world’s largest man-made fresh water lake, it is home to a wide range of fish species including the fighting Tiger fish and tasty Tilapia bream. For those guests who like to have a go at catching their own lunch or dinner, your daily catch can be returned to you ‘a la’ snacks deliciously prepared for you by the chef. Fishing is available throughout the day and we have experienced guides specifically for this activity.
(2) The famed Sanyati Gorge is a short boat ride away from Changa and offers awe-inspiring scenery, where you can meander through the steep cliffs for up to 10 km. The Sanyati Gorge is an unspoilt and undisturbed piece of paradise, home to an abundance of birdlife, various antelope and great fishing.
(3) What better way to end your day in Kariba, than listening to the sounds of hippo around you and witnessing an unforgettable sunset on the lake with a sundowner in hand on a boat cruise. Boat Cruises are one of the most popular activities to do in Kariba offering guests some much needed down-time if you’ve just been on a safari. If you are a keen birder, then this activity is a must for you. Whilst drifting along the lake, you will be able to get up close and personal to a wide range of birds, providing you with perfect photographic opportunities.
*If you are celebrating a special occasion, we would be happy to arrange for you to have a private sundowner cruise where you can enjoy the stillness of the lake, bathed in warm sunset colours with deliciously prepared snacks for a few hours.